Fun Facts about Hogwarts
Any diehard Harry Potter fan should know at least some of these fun facts about Hogwarts and the characters in HP films and books:
1. To Muggles, Hogwarts looks like a rundown building with a sign saying “Keep Out: Dangerous.”
2. Alfonso Cuaron, in order to become more familiar with the main characters, asked the three main stars to write an essay about the characters they played. Emma Watson stayed true to her Hermione role by submitting a 16-page essay. Daniel Radcliffe just submitted a simple-1 page note, as Harry would have done. Rupert Grint didn’t even turn in his essay, though. Classic Ron Weasley behavior!
3. Dobby’s first words to Harry were “Harry Potter.” Those were his last words too when he died saving Harry’s life, in defiance of Harry’s orders back in the second book that Dobby should never try to save his life again.
4. “Albus” means white, to signify the character’s goodness. But “Dumbledore” is an old English word that means “bumblebee”. Rowling said that he always imagined the headmaster humming to himself.
5. Sometimes nepotism is a good thing. The young Tom Riddle in the orphanage scene is played by Ralph Fiennes’ nephew. Brendan Gleeson plays Mad-Eye Moody, and his son Domhall Gleeson plays Bill Weasley.
6. In the movie for the Half Blood Prince, the original script had Dumbledore reminiscing about a girl he once had a crush on. That was when Rowling revealed that Dumbledore was gay, a fact that she later made public.
7. In the Chamber of Secrets movie scene, Draco asks Goyle (Harry with Polyjuice) why he was wearing glasses. Harry/Goyle says he needs them to read, and Draco remarked, “I didn’t know you could read.” This amusing comment was actually adlibbed by Tom Felton, who forgot what his actual line was in the script.
8. In the entire series, the name “Harry Potter” was mentioned a total of 18,956 times. Didn’t Rowling know about the evil of keyword stuffing?
9. Sirius Black and Fred Weasley were both pranksters of their generation. And both died laughing while in battle.
10. Daniel Radcliffe and Rupert Grint have admitted to having a crush on Emma Watson during the earlier films. But Emma had a crush on Tom Felton.
11. Name one spell Harry Potter was able to cast successfully in the first movie Sorcerer’s Stone. Can’t think of any? That’s because he didn’t actually cast a single spell for the entire duration of the film!
12. In the first movie, all the food in the Great Hall scenes was real. But under the hot production lights, the food all spoiled rather quickly, so it created a rather unpleasant smell throughout the set. In future HP movies, they used fake food instead.
13. Remember how in Prisoner of Azkaban, Trelawney exclaimed that if there were 13 people sitting at a table, the first to rise would be the first to die. That’s why she refused to sit at the table at first. But there were already 13 at the table, since Scabbers the rat was actually Peter Pettigrew—and Dumbledore was first to rise to greet Trelawney.
Sirius was also the first to rise at a meal in Grimmauld place to greet Harry in the Order of the Phoenix, while Lupin was the first to get up during the wake for Mad-Eye Moody. There were 13 people at the table for both occasions!
Now wasn’t that fun? If you’re in doubt about some of the facts about Hogwarts listed here, why not read the books and/or watch the movies again? That’s always fun!